Friday, July 20, 2012

The Id and the Ego

Unemployment is a very introspective time.  One has all hours of the day to ponder the big questions; What am I doing with my career?  What would I do if I could afford to do whatever I wanted?  How long has it been since I washed these pajama pants?
I've been working in tv animation for almost 7 years.  Well, until very recently, when I became a vicitm of *DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!*-- budget cuts!  That's sort of the end of that story.  I just wanted to clarify that I'm unemployed entirely against my will, and not because I'm a worthless bum.  I often feel I should explain it to my mail carrier.  Every time I hear him open my mailbox and drop off my unemployment check, I feel certain he's shaking his head at the deadbeat in #101.  I want to drag him inside and show him my "Sent" email folder, my jumbled files of what studios I called and when; proof that I have been pimping my portfolio all over town and doing everything in my power to become a functioning member of society again!

While I wait for animation to pick up again, I've been considering my three dimensional work as a source of employment.  I'd like to start freelancing in the costuming or prop design industries because  I've found that I really enjoy building things.  Entirely self taught through experimentation with materials, I've found that my art objects provide for me the sense of artistic satisfaction that I think many animators are chasing with their drawing, but will never find in their day job.  Even if it's for a show you like, animation is essentially a manufactured product.  To be happy in a studio, you must understand this.  People who say things like "what I really care about is STORY" need to wake the fuck up and realize you're not going to find it here.

I was always very happy to work on someone else's product by day, because I knew I had limitless fantastical creatures to make by night (and weekend).  I particularly enjoy my masks because you can look at them empty and still feel who the character is.  Constructing them is very relaxing because there are no rules.  I can build as big as I want, as gaudy as I want.  There's nobody who knows these characters better than me, and thus nobody who can critique my aesthetic choices.  I can abandon all standards, opinions, and other nitpickery one might expereince during their day job as an artist.  You know what I say to perspective?  BAM!  I just glued a sequin on that shit!  There's your vanishing point, bitchez!
Building, for me, is a release of the Id.


  Plus, how often do you get to deal with fur bikinis in storyboarding.  Well, actually, maybe a handful of times.  I will truly miss drawing Roger from American Dad...
For a complete portfolio of my masquerade fanciness, visit my newest web presence:
http://www.bleidu.com/ashleyjlong

1 comment:

  1. I too will miss you drawing Roger from American Dad. Keep posting blogs, Ashley. As gross as the word sounds, you write one well.

    ReplyDelete